single parent (cropped)
Benefits for Lone Parents

Welfare Benefits for Lone Parents

Means-tested benefits include:

Income Support

If you have a child under 5, you can claim Income Support. If you have children aged 5 or over then unless you are in one of the following categories, you will have to claim Jobseekers Allowance:
  • parents who receive the middle or highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance or either rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • parents who receive Carer's Allowance
  • parents who are fostering
  • parents with a health condition or disability with affects their ability to work - these people will be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).
Lone parents who have to claim Jobseeker's Allowance will not be forced into work if they're unable to find suitable childcare. Additionally, single parents with children under 12 will be able to specify that they can only work during school hours without having their benefits removed if they aren't able to find a job that fits around the school timetable.

Child Tax Credit

You can claim Child Tax Credit (CTC) if you are responsible for a child up to 31 August following their 16th birthday, or, up to the age of 20 if still in school or 6th form college.

Working Tax Credit

You can claim Working Tax Credit (WTC) if you are responsible for a child, and working more than 16 hours and on a low income.

Housing Benefit

If you are on a low income and live in rented accommodation you may be entitled to Housing Benefit which may meet some or all of your rent costs.

Council Tax Support

If you are on a low income you may be entitled to a reduction for some or all of your Council Tax.

If you're a lone parent who is struggling financially and would like some help with claiming benefits, please call one of the LionHeart support officers on 0121 289 3300 or 0800 009 2960.
Helpline +44(0)121 289 3300 or 0800 009 2960 (UK Free)